Saturday, May 16, 2009

Now it's ALL about school.

Wondering how is school like here? Firstly, i stay in school like a boarding school for some of you. It's not really a boarding school but it's just that they provide accommodation for us. We have 4 main buildings on school campus. Oh before i tell you more, my school is actually on a mountain. It's like our school overlooks the whole town and it's true. From Montreux, we can eye on the school in every direction.
Glion from below.

So the school has 4 main buildings on school campus. Buildings 1,3,and 4 are for accommodations where as building 2 is where classes are. We also do have accommodations up the hill and down in Montreux. Hotel Des Alps, Righi and La Residence are just slightly higher up on the mountain. It is walkable and the school provides shuttle buses for people like me. hehehe. Down in Montreux, we have in Swiss Majestic (a hotel) and Bonivard. So basically, my school is very big.

I stay in building 1-320. It is a double room with an attached bathroom. Love my room so much. It's the place where i can stay there without even leaving my crib. It's just so comfortable. love my roommate too. She's really neat and tidy.

So a show tour around my school.


My COMFY COMFY BED!!!


My Wardrobe




My workspace




My attached bathroom which i should thank God!!!




My room even has it's own balcony!



Our so called "kitchen"



One of the place where we can eat : Cafe Venior
**behind me& my mom, i just realized that i caught my service teacher MR BERNARD!!**



Now comes to the food they serve us. We are fully provided with meals. 3 meals a day on weekdays and 2 meals on weekends : brunch and dinner. So we are well looked after. Well, sometimes the food aren't really appetizing but overall, it's still satisfactory for me.

In Bellevue and Cafe Venior, we have a buffet concept in serving. We have the cold salad bar, main course which consists of either meat or seafood and also vegetarian dish, bread counter and dessert.

The club is also another place where we can have lunch. The food is much more simple. They are sandwiches and pizza or pasta. It's a chill place to hang out.


At the club



Pizza!! YUM YUM!

Now here comes to the most appetizing food. As a hotel management school, we do also have restaraunts which are fine dining in order to train students. Therefore, we have Hotel Des Alps and La Residence. The concept of these two restaurants is like fine dining. Everything is very detailed. So does the food.



Starter


Main Course




Dessert

**Mouth watering already?**


Now comes to the classes. In first semester we have a couple of lessons. We started of with Housekeeping, Food & Beverage, Language (apparently i was in Academic English) and Learnign Skills. Just by the names, i'm sure that you guys can know what the subjects are.

What i want to ellaborate more is on Food & Bevarage. On the second half of this class, we learnt more about wines, champagnes, cognacs and so on. It was really interesting because i wasn't an alcoholic person. I knew absolutely nothing. Now at least i have a basic knowledge of them. Besides that, we managed to taste some of the wines and champagnes.LOL.



Setup for wine tasting.




Red Wine



Everybody's Fav : Champagne



Oh btw, do you know that we do not have uniforms but we do have a dress code to class everyday and THIS IS OUR DRESS CODE :



Business Suit : Call me manager


After housekeeping, fnb and language are done, it was time for our practical work called CBL (craft-based learning). It is basically more on training than sitting in class which now means more tiring and needs more energy.

Each class will have 4 weeks of cbl. The first week will be an introduction, then followed up by working in Hotel Des Alsp, Kitchen and lastly Service in Bellevue and CV. Just an info, i never enter a kitchen before. I don't even know how to fry an egg before i came here and now, gladly and proudly to say that I KNOW HOW TO MAKE THE BEST EGGS IN THE WORLD!!. LOL. I really learnt a lot from CBL. Even by setting up a table, there are so many steps. Everything is so detailed. Placing the cuttleries also so difficult. LOl. But there are many good times too. We learnt to work together and through this we began to actually talk to people in our class. In CBL, i began to talk and have fun with people who i never even said hi to before. People like Daisuke (Japan), Steve (Canadian-Korean), Ko (Korean), and many others. They are really nice people too. They are very helpful and they often help a weak girl like me. We had to carry 3 plates at one go and i'm not kidding. The plates were hot for the main and heavy heavy heavy!. With my weak arms, oh boy! i had my hard times too.


First week in CBL


Hannah's & Ally's Salad


My VERY FIrST OMELLEtE


Service at HDA with Chef Diddler



My table set up. PERFECTO!



Me finally achieved my goal!




My Wonderful TEAM!!!



2nd Week : Kitchen.
Sorry guys no pics about kitchen. Wanted to take some but the chefs are quite scary! LOl. Just kidding. The chefs are nice and funny especially the french chef who can't speak english. He is always a joke to us. He's so cute but he wants everything fast fast. So his nickname is "Zoom Zoom Chef". LOl. He yells to us and always ask us to "aller aller which means hurry hurry!" So cute.


3rd Week : Service in Bellevue & CV & Club


Me as the bread girl. It's not easy to be a bread girl k. It's so tiring to slice so many breads. These ppl are really bread-eaters!






Finally, end of CBL which means Back to study. Right now i will finish off my semester with basic accounting and IT. My schedule isn't very hectic now. I can't wait till this semester to be over! Going back soon and i am so so gonna miss you guys here at Glion. This is where my journey began!

1 comment:

  1. Finally.........! Anyhow, welcome to the blogsphere. Hope your posts will not be as often as a blue moon.... hehe

    Viviene

    ReplyDelete